Saturday, May 23, 2009

New Experiences

I went for my first race in belgium Two days ago, just a real genuine experience it had all the factors to it.  The race started out really fast and i attacked from the gun which probably wasn't the best idea being my first Belgium race and all, but I figured what the hell and gave it a go.  No surprise that about halfway through I would pay for my early efforts, and got spit out the back of the pack but i did my go and happy enough with that.  My teammate Eliot did do fairly well however and finished with the bunch after being off the front all day long covering attacks.

the real story tho doesn't come from the racing it comes from the sidelines, from the moment you arrive the experience is overwhelming.  All the old guys at the race are looking at you, and your legs to see how good you look and they all have start sheets that they mark in to see who wins the race because they are betting on all the riders and how the riders will do.  It is truly great, they also know all the
 names of the big riders, it is much like baseball in the US lots of stats to keep track of and other things, but its all for betting.  

the next day we did a coffee ride with all the guys from the house Peter, Matt, Eliot and me, we went into Ghent to get some coffee and pastries in the main square and man was that ever an experience.  All these old buildings and small alleyways full of bakeries and shops and it was just an epic adventure.  



















Today Matt, Elliot and I went out for 
our adventure, we went to the Muur today, the famous climb in Ronde Vanlaanderen.  The view that overlooked the top was just epic however when i left the house I forgot the camera, so I promise that when I go back next week I will take pictures and post them on my blog.  After the Muir then we adventured through the farmlands on cobbles and small roads, it was truly one of the best rides i have had in my short career. 

After this epic ride I went out again right away on a shorter ride to go see my mate Ian who was racing just 4km away from the team house.  So I went to go see what all the fuss was about and it was a huge junior race, team buses and the whole bit.  It was good to see Ian and i hope i will be able to see him again before he goes back to the USA.  I hope that the stories to come will be the same quality, as I'm sure they will be I will keep writing. 
Caio 

No comments: